Saturday, March 3, 2012

To get over one of my largest fears...

I've always had a huge phobia of snakes.  My fear was so bad I would get the chills and freak out over seeing a photo of one, or seeing it on TV.  A couple of my friends have snakes and they use to creep me out.  My family use to think it was a big joke and pick on me for it.  I never really wanted to get over my fear but my daughter had no fear of the animals...actually it was quite the opposite, she loved them and became obsessed with wanting to see the snakes every time we'd visit our friends with them.  I was soon forced to get over my fear for her.
Above photo is of one of my friends baby snakes
Below is the same friend with her corn snake
The easiest way for me to work on getting over my fear was to go with my daughter when she went in the room to look at the snakes in the tank.  I soon found the one to be very pretty.  My one friend who owns the snakes is the same form the post "The Morning After" so I told her I'd photograph her rings with the snakes.  That small barrier of my camera lens between me and the snakes really worked because I kept moving around the snake trying to get different angles and once in a while I'd jump because I was closer than I thought or the snake moved towards me.
I had my camera bag sitting on a table top and this snake slithered right up on top of it making me realize that I should never sit my camera bag on the ground outside again.

The next step to me getting over my fear was to hold it.  I was a little freaked out but am so happy I did because I realized that not all snakes are bad...and some are really pretty and nice.  Below is a photo my mom took of me holding a snake with my husband and daughter.


One day I went over to one of my other friends houses and found out on that in order to go into the bathroom or kitchen you had to walk through her reptile room! The first time I went over to her house I didn't leave the living room, but eventually after visiting her a couple times I told her that I'd love to photograph her animals for her.
Here is a custom edit of her with one of her 8ft albino snakes


 


A great thing happened in just a short amount of time.  I found the beauty in this creature I has such a huge fear of.  I found the texture and colors to be wonderful.  I enjoyed photographing these snakes and even look forward to capturing more of these creatures on camera.  
My fear isn't completely gone I still have fear of coming across one in the woods and I won't be stopping to photograph that one.




At the end of this photo shoot my friend had me hold her 8 foot albino snake...and here's a photo of me with it...actually laughing because I had a huge snake around my neck!!



2 comments:

  1. nice blog
    im a lover of snakes but my wife is not
    will have to show her this blog but dont think shell let me put snakes around her shoulders
    good luck
    togd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      I think a lot of people have a fear of snakes...I once practically ran out of a friend's house when I turned around and his dad was holding a snake right behind me to show me it. I screamed and left shortly after.
      The only reason I forced myself to confront my fear was because of my daughter...no other reason would make me touch a snake, but I didn't want her to take on my phobias.
      I didn't start with a snake around my neck, shoot it first, then I'd touch it, then I finally held one. Then I did the same thing with the other snakes shooting first, then I'd touch it, then after a small child held the snake on his shoulders I let the owner put it on mine. If she wants to get over he fear of them then let her build up to them slowly.
      Good luck

      Delete